2022 Annual Report & Summary of the Year
30 December, 2022
From the Altona HC President, Alex Tyrrell:
This year has been an historically important year for the hockey club in many ways, returning for our first full season after two abandoned seasons in a row – the first time in over 70 years – and also celebrating our 90th Anniversary as a hockey club. Founded in 1932 as the Altona Baptist Hockey Club and entering a single men’s team, it was great during the season to reflect on how far we have come to be the large, diverse and successful family club that we are today. One of the standouts of the year was the 90th anniversary function which featured two panels of members regaling the audience with stories going back through the decades all the way to the 1940’s thanks to Life Member Frank Ranger (also celebrating his 90th year).
As you will see echoed many times through this Annual Report – it was great to be back on the pitch for a full season in 2022. The focus really shifted back to the pitch and our members playing hockey, improving, having fun and competing. We returned to almost identical numbers to 2021 thanks to the great work of the Board and Volunteers, particularly Tiff Bartlett leading the junior section of the club, and all of the coaches involved in creating a positive environment.
There were many highlights of the year which will be outlined in this document, some of my personal highlights:
- Two Altona juniors, Cooper Burns & Connar Otterbach representing Australia together in the U21 Burras at the Sultan of Johor Cup.
- Cooper taking out the Fin McNab Award to be Altona’s first Premier League Best and Fairest winner since Justine Cooke in 2006, and first male winner since Darren Duff in 1994.
- The finals campaign including our first ever Premier League home final in front of a huge crowd, with the men making a run to the Prelim, the Women’s Metro winning the Premiership and our Men’s Metro & Pennant teams all featuring.
- Pride Cup being one of the biggest days on the calendar with a big crowd, members from across the club asking to be involved and the incredible atmosphere created by both our members & the clubs we played against.
- The Senior Men & Women both winning the Indoor Victorian Club Championships on the same night at the brand new facility at Parkville.
- The Facility Development progress, meeting and engaging with local Parliament Members Tim Watts & Jill Hennessy, the Mayor of Hobsons Bay Peter Hemphill, our local Councillors Daria Kellander and Tony Briffa, as well as local council officers. The development is progressing well and an extremely important project for the club.
- At both ends of the age spectrum – huge Hookin2Hockey numbers for the 8-week program at the start of the year led by Andrew Scanlon, and then at the end of the year, the launch of a 10-week Walking Hockey program for the 50+ age group, led by Prue Phillips and supported by a Hobsons Bay City Council Grant.
As a Board, one of our biggest goals for this year was to return to some sort of normality for hockey, and this also meant with our full offering of teams and services on the pitch. With the inertia of regular hockey broken, it was a large administrative effort to get this in place and to have a successful year. We spent a lot of time at the start of the year ensuring that we had all roles and tasks at the club clearly laid out with both an accountable and a responsible party. This was a worthwhile exercise, and also helped to highlight some large risks and gaps in our volunteer force that we are working to fill. So if you are reading this and considering helping out – please reach out to myself or any board member, as a volunteer run organisation we rely on the help and support of our community.
The other main element that work highlighted is that we have over 80 people who regularly volunteer their time week in, week out to run the club. I want to take this opportunity to thank all of those people, in particular the Board for their work over the year in returning to hockey. And thank you to the wider AHC community in their efforts this year on and off the pitch in making the club what it is.
Alex Tyrrell, President, Altona Hockey Club.
Read the full Annual Report by clicking below:
Read the latest Altona Hockey Club news:
Thank you to everyone who helped us to celebrate the 2022 season in style at the Altona Sports Club.
2023 Annual Report & Summary of the Year November 14th, 2023The Altona Hockey Club is proud to present the 2022-2023 Annual Report:President's Year in Review2023 is our 91st anniversary as a club, and last year I wrote of an historic year with our 90th anniversary...
We are excited to welcome Eyecare Plus Altona as a Gold Sponsor of the Altona Hockey Club.
We are very happy to announce that Werribee Steel have signed on as the Premier Partner of the Altona Hockey Club for the 2023 & 2024 seasons.
The Altona Hockey Club playing uniform is designed to be a modern, inclusive uniform for the whole club, with the traditional Royal Blue and Gold of the AHC are prominent in the design.
Celebrating Inaugural AHC Indigenous Round July 19, 2023 Thank you to everyone who helped celebrate our Inaugural Indigenous Round this past weekend. Thank you to Mark Brown from the Bunurong Land Council for the powerful Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony, Aunty...
The Altona Hockey Club Board Supports the Voice to Parliament July 6, 2023 The Altona Hockey Club Board supports the recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Australian Constitution through a Voice to Parliament. Many Altona Hockey Club...
2023 Winter Season Key Dates April 8, 2023 The 2023 Winter season information, everything from training times, links to fixture, season dates and everything you need to know. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected] - we hope you have...
Thank-You Burbank April 6, 2023There is one major omission from our uniform that has been present for the whole life of the previous uniform - and that is of our Premier Partner Burbank. Their long-term sponsorship is finishing up next month after 12 years, and we...
Introducing...the New AHC Playing Uniform March 16, 2023 INTRODUCING...The new Altona Hockey Club Playing Uniform. Here for the 2023 season, a lot of work has gone into this new kit that will be available for the whole club. Apart from a brand new design, the biggest...
Coming up on Thursday the 16th of March at the Altona Hockey Club is our Junior Registration Night! For all of our new and returning junior players and parents, aged from the Under 10’s to Under 18’s.
Free Come & Try Hockey for 2023 January 18, 2023In 2023, we are holding two Free Come & Try at the Altona Hockey Club on Monday 13th of February and Wednesday 15th of February both from 5.30pm – 6.30pm. Hookin2Hockey gives young boys and girls the opportunity...
We are thrilled to announce that for the 2023 season our Women’s Premier League side will be coached by Danielle Schubach with Stephanie Young as Assistant Coach.
Molly Klix selected in Australian Country U21 Squad 28th of September, 2022Congratulations to Molly Klix, Altona's Women's Premier League Goalkeeper, who has been selected for the Australian U21 Country team and will compete in Indonesia in January. She was selected...
MailPlus Altona supports businesses in Melbourne’s western suburbs by delivering the Post Office to you. We’ll clear your PO Box and lodge all outgoing Australia Post mail and parcels, same day guaranteed.